Cathedral (empire of space)
High ceilings don't make me feel
closer to god (they make me feel
small)
Rows of benches don't suggest order
(just prescription)
Gold doesn't impress me
And caverns of quiet only make me
wish
Noise filled the gaps
In short, I don't pray.
The marks of those who do
Kneel in the presence of
Something
Doesn't show me god (but humanity)
I don't want to smash the cross (just
the crown)
I want to take pictures
Not for the smell or sense
But for the angles and
Engineering
And memory of the sods who fell
Under the buttresses not complete.
There's a space for quiet
contemplation
But fill it with books
And art
Reflecting life lived
Not imagined or
Sought
High ceilings don't make me feel
closer to god
But closer to the hands
Of the person
Not far from my shape or size
Who lifted it
Because the Holy Spirit
Doesn't have the hands
Or skill
Or strength
To make the shapes and spaces
We do
No comments:
Post a Comment